Defendant poured bleach on the deceased victim in attempt to conceal the murder


Atlanta–Fulton County District Attorney Paul L. Howard, Jr., announces the MURDER conviction, by a Fulton County Superior Court Jury, of 47-year-old DEMETRIUS FLOURNOY.

On August 3, 2014, Demetrius Flournoy went to the apartment of his friend, 49-year-old Janice Renee Hutchison, located along Boulevard Northeast in Atlanta. Flournoy was a crack cocaine addict and he believed Hutchison would be able to help him fulfill his urge to get high since they had smoked crack together before. When Flournoy arrived he realized Hutchison was not in possession of any crack cocaine or cash, and that enraged the defendant, so he decided to stab the victim with an unknown object before strangling her with a white electrical cord. Before leaving the apartment, Flournoy stole Hutchison’s television and DVD player with the intent to sell it for cash.

On August 6, 2014, at 9:00am, employees of the apartment complex entered Hutchison’s residence to perform a welfare check. They found the victim’s body on the living room floor, face-down, with a white electrical cord around her neck. When Atlanta Police responded, Detective E. Johnson recovered an empty bottle of bleach, a crack pipe, and a screwdriver from underneath a couch cushion. The responding officers determined that Flournoy poured bleach on Hutchison’s body in an attempt to conceal the murder. In some cases, bleach dilutes the DNA so that it is unidentifiable.

On July 21, 2014, Flournoy robbed the J.R. Cricket’s restaurant on Forsyth Street where he was working at the time. In that case, Flournoy threatened to pour hot grease on his coworker unless she opened the cash register. The defendant stole $60.00 and was arrested on August 21, 2014.

While Flournoy was in custody for the robbery, detectives spoke to an individual who said she allowed the defendant to stay at her apartment because he was homeless and did not have any money. The individual said Flournoy and Hutchison spent time together, and the last time he saw the defendant he seemed fidgety and unlike his usual self, as if he was feigning for crack cocaine. The defendant left his identification and social security card at the individual’s apartment and never returned. When detectives learned about this information they decided to interview Flournoy. Flournoy admitted to previously smoking crack and having sex with Hutchison. The defendant also admitted to visiting the victim’s apartment the night she was murdered.

Flournoy’s DNA was eventually matched to the DNA found on the white electrical cord wrapped around Hutchison’s neck.

After five days of trial, FLOURNOY was convicted of MURDER, FELONY MURDER, and AGGRAVATED ASSAULT.

 Flournoy was sentenced to LIFE IN PRISON.

Retired Senior Judge Jerry W. Baxter, of the Superior Court of Fulton County, presided over the case. Senior Assistant District Attorney Ryan Piechocinski led the prosecution of the case. He was assisted by Assistant District Attorney Kelcee Jones-Connor, Investigator Mike Hill, and Victim-Witness-Advocate Alicia Gray of the Fulton County District Attorney’s Office. Detectives Eugene Johnson and David Quinn of the Atlanta Police Department was the Lead Investigator in this case.