Atlanta–Fulton County District Attorney Paul L. Howard, Jr., announces the RAPE conviction, by a Fulton County Superior Court Jury, of 66-year-old CHARLES HARRIS.

Harris, the defendant, regularly babysat the 7-year-old victim and her 5-year-old sister while their mother worked an overnight shift between December 1, 2015, and March 9, 2016. Harris was a close family friend of the mother and her girls. They often referred to Harris affectionately as “Uncle” or “Pops.” On April 20, 2016, the 7-year-old girl admitted to her mother that Harris repeatedly raped and molested her while she was at work. Harris would go into the little girl’s room at night, while she slept, and he would pin her down and penetrate the victim. According to Assistant District Attorney Shaniqua Christian, the little girl testified that while Harris was raping her,

“She would pray that he would stop. She would cry silently because she didn’t want to wake her sister (who was in the same room). She was concerned Harris might rape her sister too.”

 A forensic exam of the 7-year-old child on May 6, 2016, confirmed that Harris had raped and molested the little girl. The victim was able to recount graphic details of several of the rapes by Harris, some of which occurred on her mother’s bed and the living room floor. Harris pleaded guilty to a Child Molestation charge in Cobb County in 1998 in a very similar case. The defendant also babysat the victim in the 1998 case, and he would enter the little girl’s room at night and rape her.

A Fulton County Superior Court Jury deliberated for 25 minutes and found Harris guilty of RAPE, CHILD MOLESTATION, AND FALSE IMPRISONMENT. Superior Court Judge Todd Markle sentenced Harris to LIFE IN PRISON WITHOUT THE POSSIBILITY OF PAROLE.

The Honorable Judge Todd Markle, of the Superior Court of Fulton County, presided over the case. Assistant District Attorney Shaniqua Christian prosecuted the case. She was assisted by Assistant District Attorney Greta Morris and Investigator Kenneth Rucker of the Fulton County District Attorney’s Office. Detective D.S. Jones of the Atlanta Police Department was the Lead Investigator in the case.