Victim Shot in the Face While Pursuing Fleeing Suspect

Atlanta- Fulton County District Attorney Paul L. Howard, Jr. announces a conviction by guilty plea in the attempted murder case against the man accused of shooting an Atlanta Police Officer in the face. 23-year-old Frank Nance stood trial this week on charges of Criminal Attempt to Commit Murder, Aggravated Assault on a Peace Officer, Aggravated Battery, Possession of a Firearm during the Commission of a Felony and Possession of a Firearm by a Convicted Felon in connection with the shooting and serious injury of Atlanta Police Department Officer Reginald Robinson.

The shooting happened on January 11, 2013 behind an Evans Street business near Ralph David Abernathy Boulevard in Southwest Atlanta. Officer Robinson was dispatched to the area around 6:30 p.m. to investigate possible drug activity. He gave chase when Nance, the person he was questioning, fled from him. Moments later, the defendant opened fire on the Officer—striking him once in the face. The victim was rushed to Grady Memorial Hospital for treatment. Officer Robinson survived his injuries but had to undergo at least five reconstructive surgeries as a result of a shattered jawbone and other facial injuries.

Defendant Nance entered a guilty plea Thursday afternoon on the fourth day of testimony in the case. He will be sentenced at a later date by Fulton County Superior Court Judge Tom Campbell who presided over the case. Nance faces a maximum of 45 years in prison.

District Attorney Howard believes Defendant Nance’s guilty plea is an appropriate resolution for the case and a measure of justice for the injured officer. “Officer Robinson was just doing his job protecting the citizens of Atlanta, particularly the residents of the West End. He was called to the community to investigate an area of criminal conduct plaguing our City—illegal street drug sales. While pursuing a suspected drug dealer, this young officer was shot in the face by an assailant armed with an automatic weapon who also had illegal drugs in his possession. Officer Robinson, after five (5) medical operations, escaped death by the narrowest of margins. He has even returned to work. We are pleased this defendant entered a plea of guilty to this indictment. Unfortunately, but not surprisingly, Defendant Nance was a multi-repeat offender who should not have had a weapon and should not have been on the street,” said Howard.

The case was prosecuted by Chief Senior Assistant District Attorney John Caldwell with assistance from ADA Jawara Mars and DA Investigator Thomas Webb. Detective David Quinn of the Atlanta Police Department led the initial investigation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *