Atlanta–Fulton County District Attorney Paul L. Howard, Jr., announces the MURDER conviction by a Fulton County Superior Court Jury of JAQUAVIOUS JOHNSON, 26, AND SCEAN MITCHELL, 21, in the shooting death of 23-year-old Calvin Clark, Jr.  

 At 2:00 pm on July 14, 2017, in broad daylight on a warm and sunny afternoon, neighbors saw two men, later identified as the defendants, Johnson and Mitchell, approach the victim, Clark, outside of his Forest Cove apartment. According to court testimony, a neighbor said Clark must have known he was about to be robbed by the two gang members because the victim reached for his handgun, but before he could grab it Mitchell and Johnson shot at Clark. The victim was hit once in the leg but managed to run back to his front porch where he collapsed trying to get inside his apartment. Johnson grabbed Clark’s handgun, and the two defendants ran away from the scene. Clark died from massive bleeding before first responders arrived. According to court testimony, one neighbor said she overheard Johnson telling other members of his gang that he had been planning to rob Clark for weeks. In court testimony, another neighbor who talked to police about the murder said Mitchell confronted her a day after he killed Clark. She said Mitchell threatened her by saying,

 “So, I heard you’ve been talking to the detectives about what happened. If I find out that’s true, I’m going to put you in a body bag and tie you up and your family will never see you again.” 

 Mitchell and Johnson were both found guilty of MURDER, FELONY MURDER, AGGRAVATED ASSAULT, PARTICIPATION IN CRIMINAL STREET GANG ACTIVITY, ARMED ROBBERY, AND POSSESSION OF A FIREARM DURING THE COMMISSION OF A FELONY. Mitchell was also convicted of the charge of INFLUENCING WITNESS. Mitchell and Johnson were sentenced to two consecutive life sentences plus 25 years.

 The Honorable Judge Shawn Ellen LaGrua, of the Superior Court of Fulton County, presided over the case. Assistant District Attorney Linda Dunikoski prosecuted the case. She was assisted by Assistant District Attorney Johnquel Neal and Investigator Adam Gardner of the Fulton County District Attorney’s Office. Detective Jamael Logan of the Atlanta Police Department was the Lead Investigator on the case.