Victim Gunned Down After Walking Away From Gunman

September 26, 2013

Atlanta- Fulton County District Attorney Paul L. Howard, Jr. announces the conviction by jury trial in the murder case against Ronald Fisher—a previously convicted killer charged with the unprovoked killing of an unarmed teenager in 2005.  After deliberating for a little more than one hour Wednesday, jurors returned guilty verdicts against Fisher on charges of Murder and Felony Murder for the execution-style murder of 17-year-old Eddie Shaheed– bringing to close an 8 1/2 year search for justice for the victim’s family.

The incident happened on May 30, 2005 on Cascade Avenue near Alleghany Street in Southwest Atlanta. The victim and a group of his friends were walking along a neighborhood street when they came across the defendant and a group of his friends. After a verbal exchange between various members in the groups, victim Shaheed turned to walk away from the defendant and leave the scene. When the teenager’s back was turned, Defendant Fisher pulled a gun and fatally shot the victim in the back of the head. He then turned and opened fire on the crowd before fleeing the scene. Luckily, no one else was injured.

Shortly after the shooting, the wrong person was identified and charged with the victim’s murder. Those charges were later withdrawn and the case went cold for several years. A break in the case came in 2011 when fresh leads pointed to Ronald Fisher as the shooter. At the time, Fisher was ironically serving a life sentence for a 2009 murder for which he was convicted. Fisher was indicted in 2011 for Eddie Shaheed’s murder and brought to trial this week.

On Thursday, Fulton County Superior Court Judge Robert McBurney sentenced Fisher to life in prison for Mr. Shaheed’s murder. That sentence will run consecutive to the life sentence Fisher is currently serving.

The case was prosecuted by Senior Assistant District Attorney Demone Lee with assistance from Chief Senior District Attorney Pat Dutcher and DA Investigator Ernest Nesmith. Detective B. Zimbrick of the Atlanta Police Department led the cold case investigation.

Written by 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *